Warning: copy() [function.copy]: Filename cannot be empty in /home/content/h/f/l/hflemings/html/blog/wp-content/plugins/mytube/mytube.php on line 220
Twitter, is it just another social network, is it a business tool, is it caffeinated texting, or just a cool web 2.0 business that hasn’t made a penny, yet! Everyone that gets on Twitter has that deer in the headlights look and probably feels that Twitter is silly when they first start and I was no different. The easiest way to understand Twitter is to sign-up and follow the updates of those that interest you. For more information read Chris Brogan blog post entitled, ‘50 Ideas on Using Twitter for Business’ it provides the basics of starting in Twitter.
What is Twitter?
Twitter is a free micro-blogging service with 140-character field that is used to communicate your brand. It is a real-time digital journal that allows you to listen to, talk to, and influence real people in an organic way. Twitter allows you to combine the human and digital sides of your personal brand in the simplest form, which I believe has made it the most relevant social network to date.
Over the coming months you will begin to see Twitter used as a strategic part of people’s personal brands and businesses. I talked with @VincentHunt this week and we discussed about five Twitter driven ideas with a business model that could be monetized today! I assure you we are not the only ones having this conversation. I challenge you to think strategically about using Twitter to impact your personal brand.
Tips for Personal Branding in Twitter
o Brand Your Background: Add a customized background (@HajjFlemings) that is consistent with you brand, add blog URLs and other contact information. Think creatively and add elements that distinguish you from the pack. Your Twitter background should make people curious about what you do, attract followers, and drive traffic to your blog or site. I like @phloss backgrounds because of the creativity and the social entrepreneurship component (they give 50% of the design fee to charity.)
o Branded Avatars: Your avatar is your global photo ID and it should be consistent throughout all your social networks.
o Promote your Twitter URL: Use your twitter address on all marketing materials especially your Brand 2.0 Cards (Business Cards) and email signature.
o Twitter Plug-in on your Blog: Add a twitter plug-in to your blog so that people can follow your conversation from your blog.
o Review Tag Cloud: Assess content you talk about to see if it is consistent with your brand message and tweeting strategy. You can use TweetStats to review your tag cloud.
o Twitter Profile: Do not leave blank. Description: Should be a description of your personal brand. Link: List the URL that you are trying to drive traffic to.
o Be Authentic: Be who you are. Twitter is the perfect vehicle to merge the human and digital elements of your brand.
o Create a Twitter Resume: Develop a 140-character Twitter resume which is a sound bite or elevator speech of who you are. This idea was inspired by an article I read in BusinessWeek,‘Write 140-char resumes for BW.’
o Secure eBrand Asset: It is one of the internet real estate properties (www.twitter.com/yourname) that you need to own. If for no other reason secure this eBrand Asset before a squander takes it.
Other Reasons to Master 140 Characters
1. Think in Sound Bites: Twitter reduces word pollution and forces you to think and write in sound bites.
2. Stay Current: Buzz starts in Twitter. The Twitterverse starts talking about topics before they hit standard blog post.
3. Create Buzz: Post events, projects, and things you have going on creatively.
4. Accessibility: Twitter is mobile device friendly it enables you to blog from anywhere and gives people access into who you are.
5. Become a Conversationalist: It is a great way to develop your conversation skills.
6. Get Ideas: Use Twitter Search and get ideas for blog post, articles, or projects. Great place to do research.
7. Stay Connected: The Twitter community contains geographically disperse influencers who share their thoughts, ideas, and resources in a 140-space rectangle.
8. Humanizes Your Personal Brand: Twitter is a medium that connects the human and digital sides of your personal brand.
9. Follow Conferences/Events: If you can’t attend follow the conversation. (i.e. Web 2.0 Expo @w2e and Blog World Expo @BlogWorld)
10. Establish your personality: Brand your background, with @Phloss. Create authentic content and establish your voice. I know this is @RohitBhargava favorite tip. LOL.
Share how you have used Twitter to enhance your business!